Thursday, May 3, 2012

pH List

Since I touched on it a little in the last post, I am going to dedicate this post to pH's.

Just so everyone is clear, here is a pH scale. 
So, when I reference numbers, just look back at this chart. :)

Here is a list of the plants that I have in my garden, for a lengthy list of plants and their pH's refer Here.
My Contained Garden:
Vegetables/Fruits
Tomato -----------------------------5.5-7.5 A
Crookneck Squash ---------------6.0-7.5 B
Zucchini ----------------------------5.5-7.0 A
Red Leaf Lettuce -----------------6.0-7.0 B
Carrot -------------------------------5.5-7.0 A
Sugar Baby Watermelon --------5.5-6.5 A
Strawberry -------------------------5.0-7.5 A
Ornamentals (flowers)
Marigold ---------------------------5.5-7.0 A
Pansy -------------------------------5.5-7.0 A
Voila --------------------------------5.5-6.5 A
Petunia ------------------------------6.0-7.5 B
Gardenia ----------------------------5.0-6.0 A
Rose ---------------------------------5.5-7.0 A
Herbs
Peppermint -------------------------7.0-8.0 B
Sweet Mint -------------------------7.0-8.0 B
Bee Balm ---------------------------6.0-8.0 B
Lavender ----------------------------6.5-7.5 B
Rosemary ---------------------------5.0-6.0 A
Common Sage ---------------------5.5-6.5 A
Sweet Basil -------------------------5.5-6.5 A 
Purple Basil -------------------------5.5-6.5 A
Lemon Thyme ---------------------5.5-7.0 A
Onion Chives -----------------------6.0-7.0 B

In case you were wondering, A-Acid and B-Base. 

Based on this chart, some things stand out: 
My Watermelon, Violas, Gardenia, Rosemary, Sage and Basils are pretty Acid-Loving!
My Mints and Lavender are pretty Base-Loving!
Everything else is pretty neutral.

This info tells me that I need to get that soil tester quickly so that I can test my soils. I need to know what pH all my pots are at. The thing that I didn't account for is that I have used 4 different potting soils. I am assuming that most commercial potting soils are sold at a neutral pH. I mean, it makes sense... 

(**TIP: To make your soil more basic or alkaline add calcium rich materials like egg shells. If you need your soil to be more acidic try adding some coffee grounds. They are high in caffeine. Caffeine is full of Nitrogens which help make the soil more acidic.)

A helpful link that I want to keep documented is the University of Georgia Plant Analysis Handbook. Here

No comments:

Post a Comment